vrijdag 19 oktober 2018

I Seek to Create

... a new campaign setting.

It is the curse of the Dungeon Master, the ruin of referees. Sooner or later, gamer ADD comes for us all.

I have a very enjoyable and engaging 5E game going on in my homebrew setting, the Sunset Realm. At some point there will be posts about the Sunset Realm, I promise.

But I have always been jealous of world-builders like Keith Baker (Eberron), or the guys from Paizo (Golarion). The Known World from the BECMI-line of D&D was a huge kitchen sink of a fantasy setting. The expanded Forgotten Realms are as well. My own homebrew Sunset Realm with its two dominant human cultures and geography bounded by a circumferential ice wall seems bland by comparison.

In short, I seek to create a WORLD, not just a setting. A living canvas upon which my players can paint future campaigns in any edition they choose. A game based on the following things:


  • My Appendix N or at least a destillation of the tropes contained therein;
  • Space Elves, the last remnant of their starfaring culture, addicted to magic with a hidden agenda;
  • Greyhawk's Grease and Blood wedded to the weirdness and philosophy of Planescape and the uniqueness of worlds as Dark Sun;
  • Public Domain villains: Orcus, Cthulhu, Asmodeus;
  • Random tables to determine hex/location contents, as established by Yoon-Suin and Hubris;
  • 3d6-in-order PCs. Sure you can play whatever you want but your Fighter will be stuck with that Str 9 if it is your first roll. This is roleplaying gold.
  • A Tentpole Dungeon
  • A grounded tone - a sort of Fantasy MCU.
This is a large wishlist and I must say I don't think I can pull it all off. But I'm gonna try.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten