maandag 6 januari 2020

Old-school style XP in D&D 5E

Beedo at Dreams in the Lich House has unleashed a debate on the XP-system of 5th Edition D&D. In his post, he riles against the Adventurer's League system of using milestone XP (and in my opinion, rightly so). But he considers 5th Edition's main system of earning XP via defeating foes in combat a fail also. And I agree.

Since stumbling on the OSR years ago, I have become enamored of old school play style, if not the systems. Whereas AD&D 2nd Edition brings fond memories to my brain, I have never blayed OD&D or any B/X variants. I thoroughly enjoy 5th Edition and, more importantly, my players do as well. But gaining XP only through combat is simplistic and promotes the wrong kind of problem-solving.

At my table, I expect my players to be clever, to avoid combat. I believe the XP-system of a game should reflect the in-game goals. Therefore, in my campaign, I award XP as follows:

Experience
Adventurers gain Experience Points (XP) by gathering forgotten treasures from dark dungeons. For every gold piece (gp) of value that an adventurers brings back to civilization he gains 1 XP. Experience is awarded when PC's return to their home base.

Adventurers also gain XP by committing the following acts:

- saving captured innocents from harm: XP value of defeated foe(s)
- defeating evil priests or sorcerers: XP value of defeated foe(s)
- disrupt vile rituals: XP value of defeated foe(s)
- killing aberrations or undead: XP value of defeated foe(s)
- eliminate conspiracies: XP value of defeated mastermind
- mapping the world: gp value of map in XP (125 gp/30 mile hex)
- mapping dungeons: gp value of map in XP (25 - 6600 gp)

Individual adventurers can gain XP by committing the following acts:

- win a duel: XP value of defeated foe
- end a personal vendetta: XP value of defeated foe
- providing a service for one's mentor: variable
- achieve a short term goal: 50 XP/level
- achieve a long term goal: 150 XP/level
- eliminate an obstacle to a personal goal: XP value of defeated obstacle/foewijderde obstakel

Inspiration
In addition to Experience, adventurers are awarded Inspiration for the following acts:

- accepting a duel
- taunt an enemy with words
- carousing
- a stylish move in combat
- a surprising moment in the game

This system is not perfect, but it reflects my personal preferences and promotes an old school, adventurous approach in the players.

What system for XP do you use?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten